Prev: Re: Strategic Thrust using Buck Rogers Board (was [FH] Full Diplomacy) Next: Re: Strategic Thrust using Buck Rogers Board (was [FH] Full Diplomacy)

[LONG] Sorry, Re: Strategic Thrust using Buck Rogers Board (was [FH] Full Diplomacy)

From: devans@u...
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 13:08:11 -0600
Subject: [LONG] Sorry, Re: Strategic Thrust using Buck Rogers Board (was [FH] Full Diplomacy)

***
I always thought that the "Buck Rogers in the 25th Century" game was
based on the comics characters.
***

We'll, it'd probably be more accurate to say it was based on the RPG,
which in turn, was VERY loosely based on the original newspaper strip.

My impression is the later Cliffhanger RPG is more faithful, but can't
say for sure, as I've not read a lot of the original strips. If it is
faithful, I'm glad I missed 'em. I'm fairly anti-PC, but am shocked by
occasional flaming racism.

***
I always thought that the "Buck Rogers in the 25th Century" game was
based on the comics characters.  If it was based on any "show" it was
probably the 1940 serial "Buck Rogers" starring Buster Crabbe
"http://us.imdb.com/Title?Buck+Rogers+(1940)", which was, far from being
cheesy, a sci-fi breakthrough and a classic.
***

One of my favorite scenes from the disco BR was the flight scene where
'Gordon' sez he's been doing this (flying in space) since before BR was
born. Course, it was Buster Crabbe, who'd been BOTH Buck Rogers and
Flash Gordon in serials.

***
I have a copy of the game, but haven't played the actual game in years,
but I don't recall it being similar to A&A, except, maybe, that they
both
have plastic figures.
***

Well, the area movement has a feel similar to the Gamesmaster series.
But,
you could say the same for Risk. And, I have. ;->=

Enough [OT], on with the topic!

***
No ships would possess FTL and can move one space per turn for each
thrust factor (Depending on the economics situation, perhaps, one space
for
every two thrust factors.) that they possess.
***

I'd say that they could have FTL, but have to leave the solar gravity
well,
but we each have our own PSB. ;->=

I've looked at the board for sometime now, trying to envision how the
'paths' would work; I would like the 'between' orbit paths to be a
little
more constricted, with the 'steep' paths for moving in-system, the more
shallow, at least in outer orbits, going out-system. I've mentioned
playing
with the board several times, and still haven't, so it continues to be
wishful thinking only.

Gradation between thrusts for movement isn't something I'd considered,
strategic movement being different than combat, but I'd go along with,
maybe, two steps for 5+, one step for everyone else.

***
Combat can only occur between fleets that are located in a planet's near
or
far orbit.  Far orbit and the space on the solar system track that the
planet
counter currently occupies are not considered the same.
***

Wow, hadn't thought about this. Howabout a faster, say +4 thrust, can
intercept in far orbit/deep space? Originally, I wasn't even going to
use
the side displays, but I can always change titles. ;->=

***
Mines may be placed in any near or far orbit space and on any space on
the
solar system track.  Mines placed in the space that is currently
occupied
by the planet counter on the solar system track do not move with the
planet,
but ships on that space have the option to move with the planet.
***

I'd like to see orbital mining a possibility, but I see you'd have to
designate
such close encounters, and further map the near space.

***
On a d6 infantry would hit on a 5 or 6 while mech would hit on a 4, 5,
or 6.
Only one round of combat could occur each turn for each "battle," except
for
landings, which would allow the defenders to roll for hits for one round
and
then allow the one round of combat.  All ground combat is considered
simultaneous, except, of course, the first round in a landing.
***

Yep, I'd definitely complicate this part, though not to the level of
breaking
out DSII. Probably map the planet ala the Traveller extension I found in
a JTAS, or even run with Fortress America groppos.

Well, you've gotten my creative juices flowing on yet another
long-abandoned
idea. As always, fun! ;->=

The_Beast