Prev: Re: Space Rules Voting at The Miniatures Page Next: Re: [FH] Full Diplomacy

Re: "Aluminum" Paint Jobs.

From: "Buji Kern" <mrbuji@w...>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 22:20:59 -0800
Subject: Re: "Aluminum" Paint Jobs.

>Hello All:

Hi,

> I'm going to be getting ahold of some aircraft minis rather soon and I
>want to give them a very
>"silvery-aluminum" paint job (just think P-51).  However, I'm not quite
>sure where to start.  Would I:
>
> 1. Prime Black
> 2. Dry brush metallic silver
> 3. Wash
> 4. Dry brush some more silver
> 5. Add details
>
> However, I think that it may make the plane look rather dull.  So,
>would I prime with white instead?

I dunno... a good natural aluminum finish on an airplane model is
difficult.
Most guys prime with a light color (white or gray) and paint with
'metalizer', a funny metallic lacquer. There's two kinds- the kind you
buff
and the kind you don't. I assume you don't want to polish every little
airplane, so I'd go with the non-buffing.

Oh... supposedly it can only be applied with an airbrush. However, I and
others have successfully used small amounts of Testors Model Master
metalizer with a paintbrush.

This is for fairly large airplane models though. It might be different
for
minis.

>Later,
>Mark A. Siefert

-Buji

Prev: Re: Space Rules Voting at The Miniatures Page Next: Re: [FH] Full Diplomacy