Prev: Minis in the News Next: OT: OK, here's what happened....

Re: Old Film and TV Spaceship Kits etc.

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 15:35:42 +0000
Subject: Re: Old Film and TV Spaceship Kits etc.

>I have an old fighter miniature (I bought mine from GW but I think the
>moulds originated elsewhere). The ship is basically frying pan shaped
>and the rear disc is a cylon fighter.

It was originally a QT Models spacefighter, and was converted from a
very
accurate not-Cylon ship that was in their original Starforce 300 range.
GW
bought them from QT, an unusual thing for GW to do, and rereleased them
when Space Fleet first came out. I still have a few of the QT not-Cylons
somewhere, nominally about 1/300 scale, in their original version
(without
the added forward fuselage that you mention).

>As far as I know the Battlestar Galactica kit comes with fighter
>miniatures (missed it the first time around, haven't succumbed yet to
>the rerelease). I always assumed this was cast from one of those.
>I believe that there is a picture of one in Dirtside II with a little
>lament by bwana Jon about their non-availability.

Yup, they are the QT ones mentioned above, nothing to do with the BG
kit.

The original BG kit never had fighters included; not sure if they were
added to the re-release.

>The fighter is way to big for FT, it must scale out somewhere around
>1/200 or so.
>I am almost tempted to buy the CV kit just to find out.
>
>If GW are redoing old stuff maybe they will do this fighter?
>I have a couple of nice BBs from them as well.

I don't think we'll ever see them again, given GW's policy of redoing
all
models everytime they release/re-release a game - the last thing they
want
is for anyone to be able to play without having to buy all the new
minis.... :-/

>BTW I just picked up the rereleased Eagle transporter kit, nice.
>I remember seeing in White Dwarf (1984?) Eagles pained up in grey and
>used for Modular Cutters for a Striker game (Broadsword based I
>presume). They looked fantastic!

It was an RPG scenario, called "The Last Log", which fooled players by
starting out like a hard SF game (Traveller or such) when in reality it
was
a Call of Cthulhu game.... :-)
A very nicely thought out scenario, well illustrated with the
aforementioned Eagles as ship's boats.

Jon (GZG)