Prev: Re: [FT]Ship Names of WWI Austro-Hungary (Long) Next: Re: [FT]Ship Names of the Nations - WWI Austro-Hungary (Long)

Re: [FT]Ship Names of the Nations - WWI Austro-Hungary (Long)

From: devans@u...
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 12:25:45 -0600
Subject: Re: [FT]Ship Names of the Nations - WWI Austro-Hungary (Long)

Oerjan:
***
> Szentistvan !

Shouldn't this be two words (Szent Istvan)? IIRC "Szent" is the Magyar
way of spelling "Count", but I may well be wrong here. Imre?
***

That's the way the NSL BDN is spelled; it was spelled as one word in
what seemed a copied-direct-from-the-original. Jane's has been wrong on
occasion. I wish I could claim so seldom, tho'.

***
> Kronprinz Erherzog Rufolf

Kronprinz Erzherzog Rudolf?
***

Wasn't the worst typo, just the worst I didn't catch, I hope. ;->=

***
The Ophiuchi ship names (or at least the class names) could be Arabic -
they're the ones all beginning with Al- (except the carriers which
begin with Zirk- ).

KON ship names tend to be bastardized from Terran words or names
(geographical, personal or even fictional).
***

*head-hits-hand* Right! I had a bad feeling I had that wrong when I
said that. Must learn to listen to inner voice, when it's not mentioning
large knives and high explosives, that is.

On the other hand, not hitting head, could the first edition have been
Arabic-like? Persistance of impression, I guess.

Course, I could point out that Arabic, in most cases, is Terran. ;->=

The_Beast