Prev: Re: DS2 FMA Enhancement Invulnerability and Auto kills Next: Re: [FT] Hull strength and Stress

Re: [FT] Coilguns

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 20:47:28 +0100
Subject: Re: [FT] Coilguns

 John C wrote:

[snip]

> The bad news is that hitting one piece of metal--even one the size of
> Carrier--with another piece of metal at the distances and velocities
> common to Full Thrust is not easy.  It's not impossible, but as a
> general rule it is a lot easier to hit a close target than it is to
hit
> a distant one (although Coilgun ranges are, theoretically,
unlimited).

> MECHANICS:
>
> The firer must roll higher than the range to the target on 4d6,
> rerolling all sixes.

This gives a higher hit probability for the coilgun than for the
"shotgun-style" KV railguns or Human pulse torps out to range 16, and
at range 19. At range 17-18 and 20-30 the railgun hit ratio is better.

>    Weapon			  Mass		    Point Cost
> Class I Coilgun:		  3			    10

> Class II Coilgun:		  6			    15
> Class III Coilgun:		  9			    25
> Class IV Coilgun:		  12			    40

Hm. Why are Classes II and III so much less expensive per Mass (and per
damage) than Classes I and IV?

> I am not sure about the Mass or Point costs yet.

Too low IMO - both of them. As written here, the Coilguns out-damage
Pulse Torpedoes (on a per-Mass basis) by at least 45-75% at ranges of
15 or less; the only ranges where the Pulse Torpedoes are actually
better are ranges 23-24 and 27-30.

They also out-damage Class-2 beam batteries out to range 20 and Class-3
beam batteries out to range 22 and then again at range 25-26... and
this is against *unscreened* targets.

I can post a table with the average damage per Class at each range (up
'til 42) tomorrow if you like. I only included 3 re-rolls in the
calculation, but any extras add at best 0.0001% to the hit numbers :-/

Regards,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: DS2 FMA Enhancement Invulnerability and Auto kills Next: Re: [FT] Hull strength and Stress