Prev: Re: [OT] Jon Tuffley Made It Into Murphy's Rules! Next: Re: FMA Enhancement to Dirtside II

Re: The GZG Digest V1 #213

From: "Daulton James Whitehead III" <djwj@e...>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 13:51:48 -0700
Subject: Re: The GZG Digest V1 #213

Okay I finally got the Digest with the other suggested modifications
from
Andrew & Alex

 I wrote
>GMS/P rules for Dirtside II: there are no GMS/P systems in Dirtside II
and
>Stargrunt II uses vastly compressed ranges. So a GMS/P has a range of
24"
if
>vehicle mounted requires 1 space, and costs: 10 for basic, 15 for
enhanced,
>20 for superior (all GMS/P numbers are extrapolated from subtracting
the
>diffrence between /H and /L from GMS/L)

Andrew wrote
>   I would agree that this seems about right, except that, at half the
>capacity of a GMS/L, I would halve the range from 36" down to 18".

This will need playtesting to determine an appropriate range. 18" may be
better suited than 24" for such a small and relatively cheap weapon.

Andrew wrote:
>DFFG at close range: D20 (I've got plenty of D20s! :-) )
I made a comment to this effect at the end of the original post. I used
the
2 x D10 to keep using 1d10 as all chits valid for clarity of what I was
doing.

I wrote
>Critical Hits and Critical Failures:
>    On a natural roll of 1 for damage the weapon experiences a critical
failure. a D10 must be rolled for the element that failed. on a 1 or 2
any
non-Infantry element suffers from a Systems down failure.

Andrew wrote:
>    In my replacement Fire Combat system (see my site for complete
details)
>for DSII, I've made the "1" result on the fire control die indicate a
miss
>and a chance for Firer Systems Down. Have a look at it, and see if you
like
>it.

I agree with this one.

Critical Hits:

Andrew wrote
>    Instead, I would suggest, for resolving damage against a target,
this
>procedure is followed. The attacker rolls damage dice equal to the
>attacker's weapon size class, and the defender rolls armour dice equal
>the target's armour level. Use one less for a flank hit and two less
for a
>rear hit. If you've run out of dice, use one dice but subtract one from
the
>result for each dice missing. So a armour 1 vehicle hit on it's rear,
would
>subtract 2 from it's one dice.

The 2 less for a rear attack dosen't follow the basic armor rules. The
rear
armor is the same as the side armor. Anything else is a personal house
rule.
I am trying to stay within the confines of the original DS2 rulebook.

0 armor for the original chit draw system meant that if the firer drew
only
the 0 markers then the vehicle was damaged, anything above that and the
vehicle was killed. For the purpouses of the dice armor system, 0 armor
has
no armor die, only if the attacker rolls a 1 is the vehicle damaged,
anything else slags it. Special effects on such hits are largely
irrelevant,
as there is rarely anything left to have a hit.

Crits are going to take more thought to figure out. The original
proposal
rolled 1 die times the weapon class, so weapon size had nothing to do
with
the odds. Though for those that prefer the bell curve probability this
won't
work.

After much thought and headahche this might work better.

For every damage die that equals the target's armor level, roll on the
table
below. Total all other dice and figure damage as normal with them.

A better table for the probabilities might be on a D 20**
1-2 No special (add this die to damage as normal) (was Systems Down
Firer,
we handle in the to hit phase)
3-10 Mobility
11-15 Systems down target
16-20 Boom
** There are 20 special hit counters, 2 sysD firer, 8 mobility, 5 sys
down
target, 5 boom

Example: A MDC/5 hits a class 3 tank, with level 3 armor at close range.
The
dice come up 3, 1, 5, 3, 3. Three of the dice are the same as the armor
level so three checks on the critical hit chart are necessary. They are
2,
5, and 13. So the target suffers 9 points of damage (original rolls 1,
5,
and the 3 that crit checked on the 1-2 and is added as normal) a
mobility
hit ( the crit check 5) and a systems down (the crit check 13). With the
static armor resolution fix below that means that the only status effect
NOT
placed on this poor tank is a destroied.

This should be closer to the chits specials.

Armor Dice

Andrew wrote
>Sorry, but this is wrong! Average chit damage, ignoring special
results,
>is 1.6 per chit or weapon size class at 100% (see my site for details).
>Armour defends at 1 per armour level at 100%. So with the table:

Thats right I miscalculated, at least someone caught it. However you
don't
need tables to show the relationship between firepower and armor. The
average damage for 1 chit (assuming that it will be valid) is 1.56 (10
x1s,
7 x2s, 5 x3s, 3 x0s for 39 total divided by 25 possibilities = 1.56*)
Now if the armor die is a D10, (We are assuming that any chit we draw
will
be valid) the average damage for the weapon will be 5.5 and divide that
by
the chit average damage 5.5 /1.56 = 3.52... or 3.5  average armor giving
us
almost exactly a D6 for standard armor die.
*Counted off the yellow chits, which are the same as the green chits,
which
are half of the red chits.)

If you couldn't follow that, just trust me it works out.

Anyways that means that for variable armor levels the D6 is standard,
for
static armor, multiply armor by 3.

This still holds true for infantry as I did not alter the attack
procedure,
just the numbers.

New armor types and Static armor multipliers:
Okay with all this new armor resolution those that want to keep static
levels of armor need multipliers for their new armor types. Well that's
relatively eazy, divide the dice type by 2 to get the static atrmor
multiplier (D4 = 2, D6 = 3, D8 = 4 ect.)

Why use Static armor instead of armor dice? With some of our luck that
rather expensive D20 level 5 armor might seem to keep flowing to the
other
side of the tank, while our oponents D6 level 1 armor is touger than our
own. Another reason? When D12 isn't enough and D20 is too much. We
should be
able to extrapolate the cost for armor that has a multiplier of 7 (D14)
or 8
(D16) when we don't have any dice to roll that armor.

(NO 2d8 will NOT serve as armor dice for static multiplier 8 (D16) for
two
reasons: {1} with 2d8 you cannot roll a 1. {2} the probability of one
die is
linear (1 in whatever chance for any number) the probability of two or
more
dice is bell curved, when rolling multiple dice for each armor level you
get
a statistical mountain landscape, each bell curve pushing the total
average
even higher. the upshot of all that is that a 2d8 level 5 armored tank
will
be better protected on average than a 1d20 level 7 armored supertank.)

Costs and Armor
With the D6 as the standard armor it will become difficult to cost armor
of
different levels. Suggestions will be greatly appreciated. remember that
D6 or Static Armor Multiplier 3 must equal a cost of 20% VSP.

Okay I think I'm finished ranting this time.

Prev: Re: [OT] Jon Tuffley Made It Into Murphy's Rules! Next: Re: FMA Enhancement to Dirtside II