Prev: Re: [FT] Playtest of Fulton's MT Missile rules proposal Next: Re: [FT] A thought on that vector movement problem

Re: [FT] A thought on that vector movement problem

From: Jerry Han <jhan@c...>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 14:48:35 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT] A thought on that vector movement problem

Oerjan Ohlson wrote:

> You misunderstand. What the previous poster said was this:
>
> Your ship has MD 6 and Thruster 3.
>
> First you burn your main drive the entire turn, and increase your
speed
> by 6.
>
> At the end of the turn, you turn 90 degrees (or 180, it doesn't
matter).

> Then, still at the end of the turn, you do *another*FULL*turn* of
> maneuver thrust, and increase your velocity by another 3.
>
> So, you haven't used more than 100% of the total thrust power of the
> ship, but you have used up 200% of the *time* available in a single
game
> turn - unless, of course, your ship manages to face in two separate
> directions at once (but if it does, I'd say it is badly broken <g>).
>
> This is the problem the discussion is all about.

You know, the one thing that's always kind of bothered me about pushes
is that you can't write PF i.e. push forward.  If pushes represent the
use of thrusters, shouldn't those thrusters allow you to burn in any
direction?  ("We need a little more Delta Vee to reach the dock", "Sorry
Sir, we can't do that without lighting off the main drive.")

This doesn't actually have anything to do with the current debate,
though.  (8-)

J.
--
/ Jerry Han -  CANOE Canada - jhan@canoe.ca -
http://people.canoe.ca/jhan \

Prev: Re: [FT] Playtest of Fulton's MT Missile rules proposal Next: Re: [FT] A thought on that vector movement problem