Prev: repost of pt defense for NCSN missiles Next: Re: [DS] Stone mountain mini sci fi line

Re: [OFFICIAL][DS2] FMA Enhancement for DS2

From: "Andrew & Alex" <Al.Bri@x...>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 09:58:29 +1300
Subject: Re: [OFFICIAL][DS2] FMA Enhancement for DS2

Thomas Anderson <thomas.anderson@university-college.oxford.ac.uk> wrote:
>i understand why you use troop quality - that makes total sense. your
example illustrates that rather well.

>what i don't see is why leadership is an issue; leadership refers to
the
quality of the unit (troop / platoon) leader, who isn't exactly in much
of a
position to do anything.

Ah, but the platoon leader was in a position to do something about it
earlier, before the battle commenced. Good leadership makes sure that
followers have the initiative to act independently as necessary. A good
leader will have made sure that the crew have read the FC manual, know
where
the reset button on the FC was, and practised what to do if a FC
malfunctions. So a good leader will effectively improve the quality of
the
troops, while a poor leader will do the reverse (disprove? :-) troop
quality). This is simulated very well by the roll of troop quality
versus
leadership rating, and is the same as an existing rules mechanic (it's
the
same as a TL +0 reaction test!).
    Failing the test indicates that the system needs repair, or
something
more than pushing the reset button or giving the FC a kick! Which is
then
where your suggestion, shown below, would be better used, perhaps.

You suggested:
>This is why I suggested rolling against your FCS die. Let's say rolling
a 1
on your fire die indicates that a glitch has occurred. You then make an
opposed die roll: your crew quality against the FCS die. A better crew
has a
better chance of getting the system working again; a better FCS is
harder to
fix, as it's more complicated (yes, better technology could be used to
make
them more reliable, but how often does that happen? :-).

    This could be a one mechanic to replace part of the existing DSII
rule
mechanic for backup systems and fixing/removing Systems Down markers.
    I would suggest that if the vehicle has backup systems, a roll of
unit
quality versus leadership rating should be enough to fix a Systems Down
result. This being easier to remember than rolling D6 and trying to
score
3+.
    If the vehicle didn't have backup systems, add a roll of the fire
control die to the leadership rating, and try to exceed this total with
roll of the crew quality. This way, the higher the accuracy of the fire
control, the more likely it is that the crew will be unable to fix the
problem at this time. This would be easier, I think, to remember than
rolling D6.

Andrew Martin
Who's really into making things simple,
but not simplistic or complex!
Shared email: Al.Bri@xtra.co.nz ICQ: 26227169
Blind See-Saw, DSII, DSII FAQ, GZG-L email FAQ, FUDGE, UY, MSH & WBG:
    http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/

Prev: repost of pt defense for NCSN missiles Next: Re: [DS] Stone mountain mini sci fi line