Prev: Re: Marking extrapolated ship locations Next: Re: Marking extrapolated ship locations

Re: [OT] Re: Tired of the stupid comments about SST...

From: ScottSaylo@a...
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 14:15:28 EST
Subject: Re: [OT] Re: Tired of the stupid comments about SST...

In a message dated 3/8/99 2:12:17 PM EST, ajohnson@idirect.com writes:

<< The only semi-coherent explaination I can think of is that the
 >scriptwriters/producers/etc were working on the Russian model: lots
and
 >lots of mediocre infantry, and ignore casualties.
 >
 >They left out the rest of the Russian Equation, though: lots and lots
of
 >artillery and armour...Given the rest of the movie's tactical
sillyness -
 >napalm-armed tac fighters coming out to play ONCE; no AFVs, no fire
 >support, etc etc, I think we can just file SST under "Horrible Movies
That
 >Shouldn't Have Been Made". It's got a lot of company in that
category...

 How 'bout another explanation:  He was joking.  Like the scene when the
 platoon of MI are rounding up bug warriors with their guns and shooting
 them IN A CIRCLE.  Ricochets and misses would have done damage to the
 humans *for sure* if there was one dose of reality in what they were
 doing...   The entire combat methodology of the MI was supposed to be a
 joke - part of the satire.  You're looking for logic and common sense
where
 it wasn't supposed to be...

 Personally, I don't think Verhoven was very *successful* with what he
was
 trying to do, 'cause there was too much happening trying to be an
action
 adventure sci-fi kill-the-bugs movie (ah-la Aliens).  That would be the
 influence of the Producer$ and $tudio, I guess.  Don't get me wrong,
I'm
 not trying to justify the film - I agree with what you said before:  it
 failed as BOTH an action-adventure-sci-fi-shoot-em-up and as political
 satire.  Satire for the brain dead maybe.

 But don't judge it on it's military merits - it wasn't meant to be a
sound
 military flick.  There was a *lot* of military improbability in Aliens
too
 (APC's with no ground clearance, Starships for a single squad, etc etc)
but
 it was a GREAT film.

Yeah, but this one wasn't. I think your concept of the satirical nature
of
scene was way over Verhoven's head too. Did he mean to do that, I doubt
it;
because it would never have occured to him. (It was pretty much a
stretch for
you or me, wasn't it)?

Prev: Re: Marking extrapolated ship locations Next: Re: Marking extrapolated ship locations