Prev: RE: Con Today Next: RE: Con Today

Re: Replensihing Fighters

From: Matthew Seidl <seidl@v...>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 08:34:03 -0700
Subject: Re: Replensihing Fighters

On Fri, 26 Feb 1999 08:56:06 -0500, "Izenberg, Noam" writes:
>Brendan wrote:
>
>Fighter recovery rules: roll 1 die for each fighter;
>1-3: pilot killed, fighter destroyed
>4-5: pilot recovered, fighter destroyed
>6: pilot recovered, fighter recovered (just needs some duct tape).
>Each squadron has 3 replacement pilots.
>
>That's too high an attrition level for me. Given how easy it is to
knock
>out fighters with PDS, I'd make it something like this (more detailed,
>less bloody):
>
>Vs PDS
>1: Pilot killed, Fighter destroyed
>2: Pilot killed, Fighter Reperable but out of commission
>3: Pilot Recoverable, Fighter Destroyed
>4: Pilot Recoverable, Fighter Reperable but out of comission
>5: Pilot Injured, Fighter reperable to operational, but pilot cannot
>engage in combat, must be recovered
>6: Figher not combat-operational. Pilot and fighter break off and can
>navigate back to carrier under reduced power
>
>Vs. Class 1
>Same as above, but die roll at -2 (result below 1 is 1).
>
>Noam R. Izenberg		 noam.izenberg@jhuapl.edu

Hmm, I always assumed the inverse of the top chart.

1-3: Fighter bailed out of attack when hurt and limped home.  Could be
recovered.

4-5: Pilot in escape unit and needs to be recovered.  Fighter is a wash.

6: everything exploded very pretty like.  Time to get a new man.

If you assume every fighter is "killed" at the end of any fight, true
in most of the games I've played.  Each pilot has a 5/6's chance of
comming back from one fight, 70% from 2 fights, 58% from 3,
48% from 4, etc.

How many fights do you expect your pilots to live through?

-=- Matthew L. Seidl		email: seidl@cs.colorado.edu
   =-=
=-= Graduate Student			Project . . . What Project?
   -=-
-=- http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~seidl/Home.html 	 -Morrow Quotes
   =-=
=-= http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~seidl/lawsuit