Prev: Re: [FT] Fleet design (Was Re: Alarishi Home Page) Next: Re: [FT] Tug confusion

Re: [OT][DSII] Genre - and details about casting/moulding

From: Aaron Teske <ateske@H...>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 21:06:26 -0500
Subject: Re: [OT][DSII] Genre - and details about casting/moulding

Aw, heck.  Not 'zactly on-topic, but....

At 10:19 AM 2/24/99 -0500, you wrote:
[bubbles in resin]
>If you want to do it
>really well, though, you do the pouring IN a vacuum chamber which has
been
>degassed.  That way there is NO air in the mould (well, not enough to
make
>a difference, anyway) as you pour and therefore no trapped air bubbles.

Trouble is, there's still this thing called surface tension.  Small
detail
*still* won't fill... this I know, even if you're pouring metal in a
vacuum
(<10 microns) you don't always fill small details.  ('Bout, oh, 1/10"
across.)  And you can have regions of porosity on a surface, too, just
from... whatever.  <shrug>

Though, of course, vacuum *does* help.	A lot. ^_^

					Aaron Teske
					ateske@HICom.net
LAUNCH DAY!
A totally unprovoked attack on peaceful neighbors. Must be the race
file. Does strange things.
		--Rick Kucejko, on the War Monger PRT in Stars!

Prev: Re: [FT] Fleet design (Was Re: Alarishi Home Page) Next: Re: [FT] Tug confusion