Prev: Re: [FT] Tug confusion Next: Re: [FT] Tug confusion

Re: [FT] Tug confusion

From: Laserlight <laserlight@c...>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 18:54:38 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT] Tug confusion

>>Mass=5,
>>Weak Hull   (1 mass)
>>Thrust 9  (2 mass)
>>FTL (Tug) (1 mass)
>>Capacity 6 (1 mass)
>
>I don't think thrust 9 is allowed for normal ships

Yes it is, per Jon/GZG.  I checked before I built the Night Music
(Thrust
13) class, a few months ago.  Eggshell Hull + Thrust 18 is the max, as
it
takes 100% of the hull...unless you work on the rounding and squeeze in
point or so of mass for something useful.  I'd build an Express Courier
like
that, but X ships of speed Y are less efficient than 2X at Y/2, if you
assume constant acceleration to midpoint and constant decceleration
thereafter.

>Well, here's the rub - what you designed is valid by the rules, but not
>practical by the text.  The average FTL transit consists of a series of
jumps,
>with delays of 6+ hours between them, while "on average, naval vessels
on
most
>missions will make no more than one jump per day".  The tug has no
provisions
>for the fighter crew, or refueling, or rearming.  So essentially the
pilots
are
>stuck in their fighters for the entire duration.

Of course, you could put some troop cabins in.	Keep the pilots inside
until
launch time.  Of course, you couldn't recover them, but given the
survival
rate of fighters, that may not be an issue (or maybe you include a real
carrier or two to recover the survivors, re-arm fighters).

Prev: Re: [FT] Tug confusion Next: Re: [FT] Tug confusion