Prev: Re: [DSII] Genre (terrain is good!) Next: Re: [SGII] Buildings

Re: [DSII] Genre

From: devans@u...
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 21:32:38 -0600
Subject: Re: [DSII] Genre

Knowing next to nothing on the topic has never shut me up before, so...

My understanding is that the start up costs are the vastly different
part of
molding. The machinery to inject the plastic into the molds is on the
order of
hundreds of thousands of US dollars. The machined molds on the order of
tens of
thousands.

I've heard that even the more expensive metal spin casters are in the
thousands
of dollars; RTV for molds dozens of dollars.

Now, the metal is vastly more expensive than the plastic, but until you
hit
volume necessary...

Which STILL begs the question of why no new Land Raider yet. ;->=

The_Beast

PS. Some guy with the initials of WC even was credited with design of
mobile hwz
on the blister cards I mentioned earlier. ;->=

Nyrath the nearly wise <nyrath@clark.net> on 02/22/99 08:51:36 PM

Please respond to gzg-l@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU

 To:	  gzg-l@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU

 cc:	  (bcc: Doug Evans/CSN/UNEBR)

Michael Llaneza wrote:

> IMHO the best thing GW ever did
> was the plastic Epic-scale infantry. Plastic is expensive to set up a
> production run for, but dirt cheap over a long production run.

     I was always curious about that.
     An uninformed layman would think that metal miniatures
     would be more expensive to produce than plastic ones.

     I guess plastic is less forgiving a medium to work with.

Prev: Re: [DSII] Genre (terrain is good!) Next: Re: [SGII] Buildings