Prev: Re: [slightly OT]Re: Random Name Generator Next: Ogre Store

Re: [DSII] Genre

From: Christopher Pratt <valen@g...>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 08:52:48 -0500
Subject: Re: [DSII] Genre

Aaron Teske wrote:

> At 09:19 AM 2/22/99 +0000, you wrote:
> >The rationale for oversize vehicles
> >and mechs is firmly tied to the specific backgrounds of Ogre and BT
(and
> >other mecha games), in which they make sense - in a more generic
framework,
> >they start to look silly.
>
> Even in Heavy Gear, the Gears will be *toast* if they try to take on
tanks
> on a plain, or even slightly hilly ground.  (I know.	I've tried.)  If
> they're a tankhunting force, they'll take some tanks with them, but
not
> nearly enough to cover the losses you'll take.
>
> But throw 'em in a city, or give the Gears lots of dense
> forest/jungle/swamp to play around in, and they do a lot better.  Of
> course, what the heck is your tank doing in a swamp anyway...?
>
> So, if you can limit your opposition to infantry (preferably without
too
> many IVARs ^_- ) then your walkers should do quite well. ^_-

actually, in the bastardized version of GW 40k that I play
(can't get my friends to switch to SGII yet).  I use the old
scale heavy gears as infantry walkers and the do quite well
in the dense terrain that we normally play in.	Their armor
is thick enough to bounce small arms and they carry heavier
weapons than the regular infantry.

--
later
christopher pratt

Prev: Re: [slightly OT]Re: Random Name Generator Next: Ogre Store