Prev: Re: [FT] Obsolete ships Next: Ogre for Re: [DSII] Genre

Re: [DSII] Genre

From: Aaron Teske <ateske@H...>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 07:28:39 -0500
Subject: Re: [DSII] Genre

At 09:19 AM 2/22/99 +0000, you wrote:
>The rationale for oversize vehicles
>and mechs is firmly tied to the specific backgrounds of Ogre and BT
(and
>other mecha games), in which they make sense - in a more generic
framework,
>they start to look silly.

Even in Heavy Gear, the Gears will be *toast* if they try to take on
tanks
on a plain, or even slightly hilly ground.  (I know.  I've tried.)  If
they're a tankhunting force, they'll take some tanks with them, but not
nearly enough to cover the losses you'll take.

But throw 'em in a city, or give the Gears lots of dense
forest/jungle/swamp to play around in, and they do a lot better.  Of
course, what the heck is your tank doing in a swamp anyway...?

So, if you can limit your opposition to infantry (preferably without too
many IVARs ^_- ) then your walkers should do quite well. ^_-

					Aaron Teske
					ateske@HICom.net
LAUNCH DAY!
A totally unprovoked attack on peaceful neighbors. Must be the race
file. Does strange things.
		--Rick Kucejko, on the War Monger PRT in Stars!

Prev: Re: [FT] Obsolete ships Next: Ogre for Re: [DSII] Genre