Prev: Re: [SGII] Buildings Next: Dang It... Lost URLs...

Re: Byzantine humor (or: Battle of the Johns)

From: Laserlight <laserlight@c...>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 16:53:34 -0500
Subject: Re: Byzantine humor (or: Battle of the Johns)

JohnA said
>> Hey, I think of myself as a Domestic of the Scholae, a simple soldier
>> and not much given to rhetorical flourishes.  Were I one of the City
>> aristocracy, undoubtedly I would elucidate on this point at great
length,
with
>> four obscure literary allusions, three puns, an allegory, and end it
all
>> with a pithy aphorism.
>>
>> But I'm not.[1]
>> [1]Five points for anyone who explains why this post is terrifically
>> funny.  Laserlight, you'd disqualified on the grounds that it would
be
>> way too easy.

John, you're underestimating my age.  Bear in mind that a lot of the
Byzantine history I know, I read 15-20 years ago.

>Um... mainly because the post is not funny? :)
>On the other hand, you're probably refering to "Lest Darkness Fall",
>right?

Here's a hint--this is an actual quote from an historical Byzantine
person
who reasonably well known.

For those of you who are interested in this sort of thing, Harry
Turtledove
has written a number of books (The Misplaced Legion series and a couple
of
others) based on Byzantium plus magic.

Prev: Re: [SGII] Buildings Next: Dang It... Lost URLs...