Prev: Re: Was: assemblying FT minis Now: about supply... Next: Re: [FT] Gunboats - points cost??

[slightly OT]Re: Random Name Generator

From: Brian Burger <burger00@c...>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 18:08:38 -0800 (PST)
Subject: [slightly OT]Re: Random Name Generator

On Fri, 19 Feb 1999, Thomas Anderson wrote:
> ha! take a shufty at:
> http://users.ox.ac.uk/~univ0938/gzg/kvna.html
>
> which uses steven arrowsmith's vocab, more or less. it currently bungs
> spaces in where they're not wanted, but there isn't much i can do
about
> that right now - the sources are boxed up somewhere in my catabombic
> filesystem.
>
> incidentally, this was knocked up in 5 mins based on the effect seen
at:
> http://members.xoom.com/tom_anderson/bandnames.html
> where my magical applet will generate names for heavy metal bands. i
> didn't produce the fragment lists for this one either!
> anyway, it reads in the fragment lists from parameter tags in the
HTML. as
> always, it is
> )c( Copyleft Tom Anderson 1997-1999 All Rights Reversed
>
> so feel free to link, steal, alter, etc. i'm sure there are plenty of
> uses.

Maybe I can steal the code for one of the goofy projects I've been
thinking of:

The Automated GW-Basher.

Now, most of the wargamers I know dislike GW - business practices, etc -
and many have rude variations on the name that they refer to GW as -
Goudge Workshop, Wonkshop, Orkshop, et etc. To aid fellow wargamers in
this noble enterprise (and 'cause I know we're often a lazy bunch) I was
thinking of a little Java critter that had two txt files, one with
'Games'
variations and one with 'Workshop' variations. On command, it would
access
each file once randomly, and display the two results in proper order...

With this noble goal in mind, I've been doing some Java reading, and
might
see if your engine can be modified to suit!

I'll have a go in the next week or two and let people know if it
works...and of course post it to my site if it does...

Brian (burger00@camosun.bc.ca)
-- http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Nebula/9774/games.html
--DS2/SG2/misc--

(of course, GW's reputedly vampiric lawyers might have something to
say...as might the deluded GWfanmunchkins out there...have to build an
asbestos emailbox for the flames...)

Prev: Re: Was: assemblying FT minis Now: about supply... Next: Re: [FT] Gunboats - points cost??