Prev: Re: assemblying FT minis Next: Re: new GZG stuff (was Re: assemblying FT minis)

Re: assemblying FT minis

From: "Geo-Hex" <geohex@m...>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 10:08:24 +0000
Subject: Re: assemblying FT minis

> Date: 	 Tue, 16 Feb 1999 14:47:28 -0500 (EST)
> From: 	 -MWS- <Hauptman@concentric.net>
> To:		 Geo-Hex <geohex@mail.teleport.com>
> Cc:		 gzg-l@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU
> Subject:	 Re: assemblying FT minis
> Reply-to:	 gzg-l@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU

> On Tue, 16 Feb 1999, Geo-Hex wrote:
> [snip]
> > The second change will be to go to plastic base stands for the
smaller
> > models in the lines, both to reduce costs and to allow the extra
> > model in the packs.  This way we hope to put two of every cruiser in

> > a pack and perhaps four scouts and frigates.  The new base is a flat

> > hexagon slotta base with a unique "T-Bar" post that is much stronger

> > than the flight stands currently on the market.  We will for the
near
> > future keep the heavy pewter flight stand for the larger ships,
> > although we plan to replace it eventually.
>
> This is one change that I personally don't welcome - the 12-point
flight bases
> that you folks produce is one of the best flight stands around for
Full
> Thrust.  Plastic stands may be cheaper to produce, but I end up
tossing them
> out and buying extra pewter stands anyway, or painstakingly kitbashing
an
> equivalent.  Also, plastic stands don't provide any counterweight to
the
> top-heavy nature of the ship model - if you don't glue heavy fender
washers on
> a plastic stand, the model falls over with the least little bump.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised by these stands, I know I
was.  I was the one who wouldn't buy plastic stands and held up the
release of the initial models until a suitable pewter base could be
produced.  I intend to keep a pewter stand under all models that are
single pack (x08 and above in each range) and to keep producing
pewter stands as an option.  I guess I should have stated that
outright in my initial email.  These new stands have a stronger post,
come in black and have a flat hexagon base.