Prev: Re: Manuever warfare was:Anti-Tank guns Next: Pirates of the Outer Colonies

Re: [SGII] Supression

From: agoodall@i... (Allan Goodall)
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 04:01:26 GMT
Subject: Re: [SGII] Supression

On Mon, 15 Feb 1999 10:43:23 -0500, "John M. Atkinson"
<john.m.atkinson@erols.com> wrote:

>It is theorized by many people that a fear of death is a human
>characteristic (which fails to explain why a species would survive long
>enough to get to the stars if there isn't a survival urge) and hence
>certain aliens should not be affected by supression.  Or maybe they
just
>don't like spending all that time pulling supression markers.

I agree that the flight/fight reflex is probably inherent in most
intelligent
species everywhere as it is a pretty simple survival instinct. However,
I also
think that it's possible to suppress this instinct. We've only been
"civilized" for, what, 10,000 years if you count back to domesticated
animals?
5000 if you look at constructed civilizations? I can see an alien race
that
has been civilized for a stink of a long time not having any real fear
(say, a
race without anything to worry about for 1 billion years?). I can also
see
hive mind races and races using mind numbing combat drugs.

But, your point is well taken.

>So my suggestion is thus:  For every thing there is a tradeoff, also
>known as There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.  Suppose for a
>moment that if Species X is immune to supression, then ALL sucesses
>should count as major sucesses.  This would mean that there is a chance
>of one or two casualties every time they are fired upon.

I can agree with your line of reasoning on this. One thing, though. I
don't
think it should count for a unit "in position". This represents a unit
still
in firing capability but protecting themselves. You MIGHT not want to
give
them the In Position die shift, but I feel you should not treat them as
Major
Successes automatically.

Allan Goodall		       agoodall@interlog.com
Goodall's Grotto: http://www.interlog.com/~agoodall/

Prev: Re: Manuever warfare was:Anti-Tank guns Next: Pirates of the Outer Colonies