Prev: Re: [SGII] Supression Next: Re: assemblying FT minis

DSII, FAQ, SLaM

From: "Andrew & Alex" <Al.Bri@x...>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 12:41:56 +1300
Subject: DSII, FAQ, SLaM

Brian Bell <bkb@beol.net> wrote:
>Greetings,
>I must disagree with the SLAM vs Stealth listing in your FAQs.
>
>SLAM is an area effect weapon,
>this is why Stealth does not work against
>it any more than it does against artillery.

Quoted from the unofficial DSII FAQ at:
	http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/DSII/FAQ/

SLAM versus Stealth
-------------------
Q: On page 9 of the Dirtside rules, it states that SLAMs "cannot be
'spoofed' by ECM or Stealth systems". Does this mean that the defender's
die
type against a SLAM attack is the Basic signature? I could not find any
other mention of this in the rulebook. We have been using effective
signature, but a clarification would be helpful. Are SLAM systems
affected
by stealth?
A: Yes, since a slam is just another direct fire weapon that uses a
firecon
to aim. PDS and ECM are only effective versus GMS.

A better FAQ would be:

SLaM versus Stealth
-------------------
Q: On page 9 of the Dirtside rules, it states that SLaMs "cannot be
'spoofed' by ECM or Stealth systems". Does this mean that the defender's
die
type against a SLaM attack is the Basic signature?
A: No. The defender uses their effective signature. Page 9 is in error.
See
below answer for more details.

Q: I could not find any other mention of this in the rulebook. We have
been
using effective signature, but a clarification would be helpful. Are
SLaM
systems affected by stealth?
A: Yes, since a SLaM is just another direct fire weapon that uses a fire
control to aim. Stealth is effective in making the target harder to hit.
PDS
and ECM are only effective versus GMS.

---

A further explanation is:
    Recall that SLaM is not quite an area effect weapon like an
artillery
barrage. So the automatic hit for artillery is not quite right for SLaM.
See
page 30, SLAM systems - Multiple Targets. If SLaM is fired at close
range,
only the intended target element is hit.
    If SLaM is fired at medium or long range, there is a possibility
that
other nearby targets can be hit as well. This reflects the deviation of
unguided rockets.

---

Of course, you are free to have a house rule in that stealth systems are
ineffective versus SLaM systems.
    Another interesting house rule is that SLaM don't need Fire Control,
stealth is ineffective, SLaMs have a 1" radius of effect at close range,
2"
radius at medium range, and 4" radius at long range.
    To avoid being hit, each infantry target in the radius of effect
rolls
their quality die, trying to exceed their leadership number plus, +2 at
close range, +1 at medium range and +0 at long range.
    For vehicle elements, roll their basic signature or their quality
die
(which ever is worse!), trying to exceed the unit's leadership number
plus,
+2 at close range, +1 at medium range and +0 at long range.
    Failure means that the element draws damage chits equal to SLaM
size.

---

Comments invited!

Andrew Martin
Shared email: Al.Bri@xtra.co.nz ICQ: 26227169
Blind See-Saw, DSII, DSII FAQ, GZG-L email FAQ, FUDGE, UY, MSH & WBG: