Prev: Re: Star Trek Weapon Next: Re: Population math help!

Re: Population math help!

From: Donald Hosford <hosford.donald@a...>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 16:04:37 -0500
Subject: Re: Population math help!

If you know how, try writing a simple program to do it for you.  Thats
what I
did on my population calculations.

In my calculations, I have been using a growth rate of 2%.  My source:
college economics book.  It has the population of the U.S. listed
(from1929 to
1982).	By compairing the numbers I concluded that the growth rate was
about
2% (close enough for my projects.)   Unfortunatly the book does not list
immegration numbers.

Donald Hosford

Brian Burger wrote:

> I'm trying to figure out a reasonable population for my colony of
Santa
> Maria, and I'm finding that I've forgotten all that high school
math...

> Population growth is a compound-interest type equation, I think, but
> damned
> if I can remember the actual formula. So, given:
>
> Initial population of X
> Average annual growth of Y%
> Average annual immigration of Z
> and
> Years Since Colony Established of Q
>
> there must be an easier way of doing this than repeating (X x Y) + Z
> a number of times equal to Q. (I'm positing a 97-year old colony. You
can
> understand my desire to find an easier way.) You can't just do
> q{(xy)+z}, because (xy) is a constantly increasing number.
>
> Please help...
>
> Embarrasingly inumerate,
>
> Brian (burger00@camosun.bc.ca)
> -- http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Nebula/9774/games.html
--DS2/SG2/misc--

Prev: Re: Star Trek Weapon Next: Re: Population math help!