Prev: Re: Small ships and SMLS & Killing Torp armed fleets..... Next: Re: Space Stations

Re: In defence of Monarchy

From: Thomas Anderson <thomas.anderson@u...>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 20:26:42 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: Re: In defence of Monarchy

On Fri, 12 Feb 1999, Oerjan Ohlson wrote:

> Thomas Anderson wrote

> > > I *think* that it means someone of European desent.
> >
> > the angles were a tribe of britons living in eastern england years
back
> > when the romans invaded.
>
> <shudders at hearing an Englishman abuse his own historical heritage
like
> that>

get used to it! we've been fiddling our own history for ages now, as
well
as other people's. i suppose most of you think that scots clans have
distinctive tartans? ha!

> No, they weren't. The Angles where a germanic people who first raided
> Roman Britain and then, when the Romans withdrew completely in the 5th
> century CE, moved in along with their neighbours the Saxons and the
Jutes
> and conquered what is now called England from the romanized Britons.

ah. sorry about that. i must admit that my history is pretty shaky - at
school they basically taught us about china 1945-1990, and what i know
about my own country is what i can remember from primary school, plus
"1066 and all that" and a few local plays. my field is really more the
future than the past :-).

> Here endeth the lesson,

i am suitable chastened and enlightened. my thanks.

Tom

Prev: Re: Small ships and SMLS & Killing Torp armed fleets..... Next: Re: Space Stations