Prev: Re: OT: You guys aren't going to believe this.... Next: Re: [FTFB] Not ships, exactally. . .

Re: RE Supertank

From: Thomas Anderson <thomas.anderson@u...>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 18:01:46 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: Re: RE Supertank

On Sat, 13 Feb 1999, Nyrath the nearly wise wrote:

> Oerjan Ohlson wrote:
>
> > What I'm most interested in is: If you have magnetic "screens"
strong
> > enough to deflect or defuse plasma, explosion-forged or kinetic
> > projectiles etc, and you don't use metallic armour - how do you stop
your
> > screens from frying the tank's own electronics?
> >
> > (Or maybe I should ask: "how do you stop your screens from
physically
> > disabling the tank's own electronics?" <g>)
>
>	Basically you have to ensure that the tank
>	is inside a magnetic void within the screen.

or use optical computers. of course, if you have optical computers,
incoming missiles do too. however, i think we were talking about the use
of magnetic fields to deflect kinetic projectiles. at that kind of field
strength, you have to start worrying about other things, like the effect
on the crew, the problem of having lots of bits of metal stuck to your
hull, the danger of the coil exploding, etc.

Tom

Prev: Re: OT: You guys aren't going to believe this.... Next: Re: [FTFB] Not ships, exactally. . .