Prev: Britannia, was Re: In defence of Monarchy Next: Re: Manuever warfare was:Anti-Tank guns

Re: [FTFB] Not ships, exactally. . .

From: "John M. Atkinson" <john.m.atkinson@e...>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 10:46:42 -0500
Subject: Re: [FTFB] Not ships, exactally. . .

Keith Watt wrote:

> If you use realistic engines (specifically for this case a
> deuterium-tritium fusion drive, which seems to work best), Thrust 1
-is-
> 0.01g.  Of course, the distance scale then works out to be 1 MU = 40
km,
> which is smaller than a lot of people want (even if it is realistic).
> Just food for thought...

I go with the reactionless drives in the background--I strongly prefer
to have space travel be feasible as a commercial enterprise without
generation ships.  I havn't worked out the exact scales I'm using, but 1
turn is going to be fairly short.  Perhaps a minute, which would give me
1 Thrust is 1G and 1MU is 1000km.

John M. Atkinson

Prev: Britannia, was Re: In defence of Monarchy Next: Re: Manuever warfare was:Anti-Tank guns