Prev: Space Stations Next: [OT] Austrailian TV Show

Re: FT and DS2 Interface

From: Thomas Anderson <thomas.anderson@u...>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 19:38:22 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: Re: FT and DS2 Interface

On Thu, 11 Feb 1999, Andrew & Alex wrote:

> Just to show how big nukes really are:
>
> >It allows you to map a 1 megaton surface blast or a 25 megaton air
blast.
> >Just choose your weapon and enter an address or zip code.
>
>     Enjoy! Or be horrified!

those who live in the uk might want to make a mental note to look out
for
a book called "doomsday: a nuclear attack on the united kingdom" or
somesuch. the most detailed public analysis of such things i've seen.
it's
a bit old, but still very, very scary. it details scenarios from a
limited
strike with about five warheads to the whole nine yards - "Scenario K".

it has maps of the uk, with each county coloured according to your
survival probability if you live in it. that, along with the list of
targets - my friend who lives in Harwich (a major port, and next to
another major port) gets hit by about half a dozen warheads in the worst

case - and the totally dispassionate and thorough analysis, really
drives
home the point about how destructive nuclear weapons are. it's scary.

Tom

Prev: Space Stations Next: [OT] Austrailian TV Show