Prev: Re: [DS2] Anti-Tank guns Next: RE: [DS2] Anti-Tank guns

Battle Report Hex 916

From: John Fox <jfox@v...>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 01:22:50 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Battle Report Hex 916

Hello Everyone:
  This is an abbreviated battle report from a ongoing campaign game.

  Corner #1: Za'Ha'Doomies (Shadows)
	Basically Kravak with beams and only normal sensors
	Fleet:	6 Frigates
		4 Destroyers
		5 Cruisers
		1 Battlecruiser
	Entering speed: 	54
	All ships are thrust 8
	Mission: Cause as much havoc as possible , suicide squad

  Corner #2:	NAC
	Normal FT fleet but a beam happy bulder
	Fleet:	2 Destroyers
		16 Cruisers
		3 Battleships
		2 Light Carriers (3 squadrons each)
	Entering speed: 	6
	Ships thrust range from 4 to 8
	Mission: Defeand system

  Other important items:
	We use different rules for movement and firing. The slowest
ships move
first, then the next fastest up to fighters. So thrust 8 ships move last
	For firing we do fastest to slowest.  Fighters (missiles) first
then
down to thrust 1/2.
	This was done to simulate that faster ship can manuever better
and also
to let the "smaller ships" (usually the ones with thrust 8) to get at
least one
shot off before they became space dust.
	This is a FT/ MT game, no Fleet book.

  Round #1, Ding
	Movement:
	The NAC advance in line leading with cruisers and destroyers.
The three
BB and two CVls are right behind.  The carriers each launch two heavy
fighter
squadrons.
	The Shadows move 54 inches to right in your face, hello have
some
scatter gun.  The distance to my closest cruiser was 1" (2.5 cm)

	Firing:
	Due to the fact that all the Shadow ships had thrust 8 they went
first.
In short order subpacks hit the following ships. Destroyer #2, Cruisers
# 9 thru
16 and BB #2.  Damage was as follows
	Destroyer #2	4 points, 1 threashold, no systems lost.
	Cruiser#9	3 pts
	Cruiser #10	6pts	threashold lost one beam
	Cruiser #11	11pts	threashold lost 1 beam and one PDAF
	Cruiser #12	26pts	Space dust
	Cruiser #13	13pts	2 Threasholds, 1 beam, 1 pdaf
	Cruiser #14	14pts	2 threasholds	1 beam, 2 pdaf, no
thrust
	Cruiser #15	7pts	1 threashold, 1 beam
	Cruiser #16	14pts	2 threashold, 2 beams, 1 pdaf, FTL
	Battleship#2	29pts	turned into hulk

	Bad scatter gun rolls saved many a ship.

  All of this took place with the NAC only being able to fire from 2
destroyers.
 They took out 1 frigate and damaged one destroyer. DD#2 did 6 points on
frigate
#1 and raised the morale a little bit.
  Now it was the NACs turn. Contrary to the Klingon proverb, revenge is
a dish
best served pipping hot from the barrel of an A beam.
  The cruisers and BBs took out the following
	4 of the remaining 5 frigates (last one hurting alot, 3 of 4
damage
points inflicted)
	All of the destroyers
	4 of the 5 cruisers (last one hurting)
	Badly damaged the battle cruiser (14 or 15 points)

  Round #2, Ding
	Movement:
	  Shadow: Run away, attempting to turn and run the frigate ended
up on
the left side of the board, the cruiser middle (about 32" from battle
line) and
battle cruiser just a little futher (just out of range of by beams)
	  NAC: Not knowing what the shadows would do the ships did and X
pattern
with the right side turning towards the left so as to not leave any area

uncovered.

	Firing:
	  Shadows. Destroyer #2 was the only one in range that had no
screens.
It suffered 5 more points of damage (and thus was turned into a drifting
hulk)
	  NAC:	The shadow frigate was destroyed, and the cruiser was
turned
into a hulk. The batlecruiser was out of range and thus not hit.

  Round #3, Ding
	Movement:
	Shadow lite the FTL up and left (being out numbered 21:1 does
wonders
for the enemy morale)
	NAC:	Recovery operations commenced.

  Lessons learned:
    If you are going to face someone who comes in fast and has
scatterguns,
bring lots of ships.  Massive firepower seems to be the only answer.
You are
going to take loses but you will have to have lots of ships to win.  The
fact
that all his ships were thrust 8 means that his cost was higher.  In the
long
run economics will win. The fighters did not get to participate at all.

    Aftermate:	A player can salvage hulks for resource points equal to
50% of
their mass (rounded down).  There were 1-36mass, 3 - 28 mass, 3-16 mass
and 6-8
mass hulks floating around from the shadows.  The NAC has 1-52 mass,
1-36mass
and 1-18mass hulks.  Due to a prior battle I will probably let the mass
8s go
because of lack of ships to track all the hulks. (In out game a hulk can
be
salvaged if you have a tug and get to it in three turns.  Barring that
another
ship must sit with the hulk and watch it so it does not get LOST in
space after
the three turns.)  I am able to research any system that survived in the
hulks.
Unfortunetly there are no scatter guns left. I do get armor which will
entail
building a couple of test ships.  Armor would be the best option to
protect
ships against rail or scatter guns. (More research)

    John W. Fox
    Acting NAC commander
    (and also GM) ;-)

Prev: Re: [DS2] Anti-Tank guns Next: RE: [DS2] Anti-Tank guns