Prev: Re: [DS2] Anti-Tank guns Next: Re: [DS2] Anti-Tank guns

Re: [DS2] Anti-Tank guns

From: "Andrew & Alex" <Al.Bri@x...>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 21:25:45 +1300
Subject: Re: [DS2] Anti-Tank guns

John M. Atkinson <john.m.atkinson@erols.com> wrote:
>...Steel
>Panthers is missing a number of vital elements, including real aerial
>reconaissance and IPB, as well as mangling the relationships of various
    What's an IPB?

>units (note recent discussion about Patriot batteries providing direct
>support to a maneuver batallion, which would only happen in someone's
>drug-induced fantasies).
    Now, now, calm down. :-) Remember that both DSII and SPII/SPIII
allows
the player to do this. I and Stephen don't have the experience of
military
hierachy to guide or hinder us. We're just doing what's effective,
which,
I'm sure, effective generals through out history have done. Military
hierachy or no military hierachy.

>In a DSII environment with drones, 100%
>orbital recon coverage (at least for a set-piece planetary assault--I
>wouldn't put troopers on the ground until I had plinked all the bad
>guy's sattelites and had mine in place),
    I totally agree.

>and a lot of aerospace
>fighters, the reverse slope defense is going to be damned difficult.
It
>relys on the bad guys coming over the ridge from the right direction,
>fat dumb and happy, and blundering into the kill zone.
    Yes. That's what it relies on, WWII or second wave style of
fighting,
not info-war or third wave fighting. See Alvin Toffler.

>With decent
>intel, he's going to maneuver to come at you from a different angle.
>And you can't shift your forces to meet him, because your prime movers
>are trucks, and trucks tend to die rather loudly when they get in front
>of tanks.  This sucks for the AT gunners--when their prime mover dies,
>I'd have them rolling a TL+3 confidence check.
    Why not use the immobilised vehicle rule towards the back of the
DSII
rule book? It's a standard rule and gets rid of the AT gun crew quicker.

Andrew Martin
Shared email: Al.Bri@xtra.co.nz ICQ: 26227169
Blind See-Saw, DSII, DSII FAQ, GZG-L email FAQ, FUDGE, UY, MSH & WBG:
    http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/

Prev: Re: [DS2] Anti-Tank guns Next: Re: [DS2] Anti-Tank guns