Prev: Re: [FT] Rules clarification request - stationary movement Next: Re: [DS2] Anti-Tank guns

RE: [FT] Rules clarification request - stationary movement

From: "Dean Gundberg" <dean.gundberg@n...>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 16:34:26 -0600
Subject: RE: [FT] Rules clarification request - stationary movement

> > "A ship with a velocity of zero (ie:stationary) may, in its movement
> > phase, be rotated on the spot to any desired Course, irrespective of
> > available Thrust or normal limitations on Course changes. The ship
may
> > NOT make any actual movement or apply any other Thrust in that Game
> > Turn."

> Actually, that wording is exactly what caused the question in the
> first place
> - "any *other* thrust".  If the rules had stated
>
> "... may NOT make any actual movement nor apply ANY thrust in
> that game turn",
>						   ^
> then there would have been no disagreement whatsoever.  However,
> the inclusion
> of the word "other" causes a definite ambiguity - "other" than
> what?  "Other"
> than that used to deaccelerate to zero in the first place?  The
> inclusion of
> the word "other" strongly implies this interpretation, since
> leaving the word
> out makes the sentence totally unambiguous without breaking any
gramatical
> constructs.

Well it does take thrust to rotate and that is the base thrust involved
and
anything else is 'other' thrust.  If it does not apply any thrust that
turn,
how can it rotate? ;)

Yes, I can kinda see where that 'other' can be misinterpreted but it
seems
pretty clear that the ship uses thrust to rotate and can not use thrust
do anything else that turn other than rotating.

Dean

Prev: Re: [FT] Rules clarification request - stationary movement Next: Re: [DS2] Anti-Tank guns