Prev: Re: Inner Colonies Next: Re: Inner Colonies

Re: Military Strengths was First Order of Business

From: "Thomas Barclay" <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 10:24:59 -0500
Subject: Re: Military Strengths was First Order of Business

Steven spake thusly upon matters weighty:

Well, I don't know right now. But here's my quick baseline. All
doubling rates should be between 20 and 50 years .... based on your
estimate of quality and culture of a society - higher quality of life
breeds lower birth rates and culture affects it.

So take the population today, and assume we have 180 years till then
- I can't remember all of who are in the NSL today, but find their
populaitons, add them up, add a fudge factor (the gzg world lets
dissidents grow) and probably assume a doubling period of 40 years
(45 for NAC, so 40 for NSL seems about right). That means you'll have
doubled your pop (I assume unlimited growth - I've used a slower
doubling time to account for some restriction and I've also accounted
for cheap stardrive and other space living here too) 4 and a bit
times.... but since it is a compounding that is 2^4.5  which would be
somewhere between 16 and 32 times. So say 20 times to be
conservative. So take current day NSL (or 80% to account for
departures of people) pop and multiply by 20.

I have (but it has had to be shelved due to work) a project to
spreadsheet the year by year growth of all the major powers which
lets me look at the impact of varyious growth rates and add in
factors affecting pop such as wars and disasters and post-war booms.
But that's a lot of work, and I'm too darn busy at the present.

_______

>		      I Would Rather live a Lie, Thinking I Can.
>			   Than know The Truth That I Can't

_______

Thomas Barclay
Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009
Fax: (613) 831-8255

 -Bjarne Stroustrup

Prev: Re: Inner Colonies Next: Re: Inner Colonies