Prev: Re: UBW Tech Next: Re: [FT] Replacement Boarding Rules v1.0b

Re: [SG,DS, Colonial] Invasive Species

From: Laserlight <laserlight@c...>
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 1999 08:24:15 -0500
Subject: Re: [SG,DS, Colonial] Invasive Species

>i should think that trying to live on a world with another competing
>biology would be very, very hard. it would be better adapted for local
>conditions, making it really tough for imported bio to get a grip. even
>scorhed-earth slash-and-burn policies would have a hard time clearing
the
>way of native life.

Bear in mind that native life isn't adapted to competing with imports,
just
with other natives.  If local plant life is on the level of, say, ferns,
then it may be that all we need to do to clear it out is to plant Terran
plants.  Earth's plant life has a long history, and there's no obvious
reason that what we find will correspond to present day development,
instead
of a level corresponding to 65 million years ago (or ahead).

Prev: Re: UBW Tech Next: Re: [FT] Replacement Boarding Rules v1.0b