Prev: Re: GZGPedia Planning Next: Re: [SG,DS, Colonial] Invasive Species

Re: [SG] Wandering mines (was: NAC SAS rescues hostage. . .)

From: DracSpy@a...
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 18:58:37 EST
Subject: Re: [SG] Wandering mines (was: NAC SAS rescues hostage. . .)

<< I remember seeing this monstrosity on a PBS documentary back in 1990
or
 so.  It sort of looked like one of the old-style naval mines (the ones
 with the triggers sticking out all over them) except that in this case,
 they were small rocket venturies.  It was basically spherical, and
 looked to be about 3 feet across.

 They showed a film of a test run.  The thing started out by either
being
 air-dropped or launched from some sort of catapault (they were
 considering both methods).  It rolled and bounced its way across the
 test range until it got stuck in a trench.  The on-board computer,
 having detected that it was no longer moving, then fired the lowest of
 the rockets, sending the thing bouncing back up out of the trench and
 across the field again, spitting fire periodically any time it paused.
 It traced a very erratic course around the field, looking for any
large,
 magnetic target (like a tank).  When it finally found one, it blew up
 (and apparently packed quite a large warhead).

 I can't say it looked like the most efficient way to kill tanks, but it
 should make a great terror weapon.  It looked quite terrifying as it
 bounced around, constantly changing direction, spurting fire.	And
 although you typical trooper isn't magnetic, it was more than big
enough
 to crush him.	I don't see how you could use it anywhere near friendly
 forces, though. >>
It was on a program called Horizens (I know that I don't have the
spelling
corect) another weapon that was on it was a sub munishion weapon that
would
move over the battle field, when it got over a thermal source it would
fire a
charge that would shape part of the weapon into a KEP and blow a nice
hole in
what ever it hit.  I would call it an Arty Round, it would be a moving
mine
that would move across the board, if any thing was under the impact
point
would get fired at by a mine, maybe roll to hit on a D8, just a thought,
then
there are the automated missile firing mines, a GSM/L that fires once at
the
first target that gets with in a sertine distance?
-Stephen

Prev: Re: GZGPedia Planning Next: Re: [SG,DS, Colonial] Invasive Species