Prev: Re: [SG] Hammer's Slammer's Weaponry Next: Re: [FT] Replacement Boarding Rules v1.0b

Re: [SG] Hammer's Slammer's Weaponry

From: Adrian Johnson <ajohnson@i...>
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 1999 16:51:22 -0500
Subject: Re: [SG] Hammer's Slammer's Weaponry

>The slammers wore clamshell armour that slowed down powerguns, so I
>think hardened armour would slow them down.
>
>How about this:
>Powergun (Pistol): FP 1 Impact d8 (or d10 if you have a nasty bent)
>Powergun (SMG): FP 3 Impact d8 (or d10 if you are evilly inclined)
>Powergun (Rifle): FP 2 Impact d12
>Powergun (Tribarrel): Support Weapon FP d12 Impact D12

Sounds good, though if I remember correctly, the tribarrel support
weapons
were a larger calibre than the rifles.	I'd make them FPd12, Impact
d12x2

>Powerguns versus armour:
>Partial powered armour (like say the israelis wear or hardshell like
>some of the german troops) is treated as one level worse (ie if the
>armour was D8 versus normal weapons, its D6 versus powerguns).
>Other soft or non-reflective armours are USELESS. Defender rolls D4
>for armour checks. PA is unaffected.

I like it, though my Israelis don't and my NAC Marines really don't...

If we are going to assume the extreme energy transfer that the fiction
suggests powerguns are capable of, I think this is fair.  Troops without
at
least a full hardsuit (even if unpowered) would at the very least be
cooked
by the energy discharge.  I think I remember descriptions of targets hit
with powerguns being engulfed in flame 'cause of the heat, as well as
the
explosive damage.  With the German armour and the partial powered stuff,
this would be greatly reduced.

Question though?  A powergun is a directed plasma discharge (there was a
description in the back of one of the books of powergun technology) - if
this is some kind of fusion reaction (??????), would there possibly be
residual radiation effects as well as the impact/heat energy?  What
would
that do to a battlefield?  Would there be spillover effects as a battle
progressed where communications (at least for unhardened systems) would
be
affected?

Adrian

Prev: Re: [SG] Hammer's Slammer's Weaponry Next: Re: [FT] Replacement Boarding Rules v1.0b