Prev: Re: [FT] Brain's off today (was Re: OFFICIAL RULING REQUEST ...) Next: Re: UBW Tech

Re: [FT] Replacement Boarding Rules v1.0b

From: Thomas Anderson <thomas.anderson@u...>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 14:56:59 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: Re: [FT] Replacement Boarding Rules v1.0b

On Thu, 4 Feb 1999, Jared E Noble wrote:

> >Jared spake thusly upon matters weighty:
>
> >> It was accurately pointed out on the FTML that it is contrary to
current
> naval
> >> practice for vessels to carry trained teams for boarding actions.
>
> >Um. I beg to differ. I know of several Canadian ships that have a
> >staff of trained experts in boarding actions (they give extensive
> >courses on this) that can be assembled at short notice by the Bosun.
>
> OK, amend to read "contrary to current naval to carry trained and
equipped
> boarding teams on _every_ vessel."  Some may, many (or most) don't.

how about this. your current rules allow for organic defence-only units,
taking no extra mass, marines, which take up mass dur to the hefty
equipment, and footsloggers in spaace, which come under the usual troop
rules. i agree that 2 crew -> 1 defence factor, but would up marines to
being worth two factors in attack, or being able to attack and defend in
the same turn.

then, add another possibility: boarding parties. these are like defence
teams, but with more training and equipment. because they are part of
the
crew, they take up no mass, just like DCPs. so, if you want to do
lightweight boarding, or are worried about being boarded, pack in some
BPs. if you are serious about boarding all sorts of things, take
marines.

i am assuming DCPs are still massless as they were in MT; i have a
horrible feeling that they aren't, and jared's marines are modelled on
them. if so, ignore this post.

Tom

Prev: Re: [FT] Brain's off today (was Re: OFFICIAL RULING REQUEST ...) Next: Re: UBW Tech