Prev: Re: [SG] Wandering mines (was: NAC SAS rescues hostage. . .) Next: RE: (FT) Page Updated - New Custom Minis

Re: [SG] Wandering mines (was: NAC SAS rescues hostage. . .)

From: Pmj6@a...
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 12:12:38 EST
Subject: Re: [SG] Wandering mines (was: NAC SAS rescues hostage. . .)

Paul Lesack wrote:

> Has anyone ever strapped a Command Detonated Mine onto a randomly
> (or partially randomly) moving object (ie, animal)? [I would
> never use my rabbits for this, though]. Even a vehicle. Car bomb,
> anyone?

Russia, in WWII.  Dogs, anti-tank mines, and improper training
methods--the dogs hid under tanks and blew up, alright.  They just went
for Russian tanks (just like the ones in training) instead of German
ones.  Program cancelled.

John M. Atkinson<<

Program was cancelled because the Red Army got proper AT weapons, not
because
the dogs blew up friendly tanks.  If you have your own tanks on the
battlefield to handle enemy armor, why bother with dogs anyway.  And it
is not
as if the Soviets had a shortage of captured German tanks to practice
on.

As a side note, the Soviet military trained their dogs to attack tanks
even in
the 80's.

Mike Jasinski

Prev: Re: [SG] Wandering mines (was: NAC SAS rescues hostage. . .) Next: RE: (FT) Page Updated - New Custom Minis