Prev: RE: Static Grass Next: Re: NSL, Not Nazis.

Re: Kzinti Miniatures

From: DracSpy@a...
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 11:38:56 EST
Subject: Re: Kzinti Miniatures

<< the rapid-acting anderson sf brain springs into action! i recall a
niven
 story, i think a short, possibly in the "neutron star" collection. i
will
 now describe the plot to jog memories. i will make huge, embarrassing
 mistakes (sorry - niven is not my strong point).

 modern kzin females are essentially non-sentient: the dominant males
have
 bred them over millenia to reduce the threat to their power base (i
know
 what you're thinking - stop now!). this is relevant.

 our human hero winds up on some sort of museum planet, where there are
 zones like each of the major worlds - earth, kzinti, etc. there are
 natives in some sort of suspended animation stored in tubes. he may
have
 had a kzin with him for some reason, or one turns up a bit later.
anyway,
 he reanimates a couple of kzin females, for some reason, or something.

 since these are ancient kzin, the females are intelligent. thus, the
 modern male kzin is tricked and trapped by a cunning female because he
 assumed she wasn't a threat. the female kzin are on the human's side
here
 (i think they were political criminals before being collected for the
 museum). the story then goes on to a happy ending.

 anyway, the only female kzin who actually does anything in a niven
book,
 and so is worth drawing on a cover and modelling, is the cunning one
from
 this story. ergo, that's the bunny.

 i hope this helps,
 Tom >>
That in Man Kzin wars, I just got done reading it (abot a month ago)
-Stephen

Prev: RE: Static Grass Next: Re: NSL, Not Nazis.