Prev: Re: GZG Encyclopedia. Next: Re: Life around an M-class star

Re: Life around an M-class star

From: "Izenberg, Noam" <Noam.Izenberg@j...>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 08:47:14 -0500
Subject: Re: Life around an M-class star

>>They would be called something like Solar Converter Array Satellites
or
>>Radiant Frequency Modulation Satellites :-).

Ind> Also known as 'Target #1', 'Target #2', 'Target #3', etc, for any
invading
Ind> forces intent on crippling/taking over said colony.  :-)

Well, I wasn't thinking of them as _essential_ to life on the colony,
but rahter something to make the conditions more human normal. That
would still make them a target in a siege or attrition war, but
conquerors would no doubt love to have the satellites functional as
well.

TomB> Or for NI raiders who are interested in encouraging more converter

TomB> sales.... (after all, no one wears white in the gzgverse....)

True, but that would give you a baaaad rep indeed. To my knowledge Ford
doesn't go around blowing up Mustangs to generate more sales (Now Pintos
are another matter) :-)

But then, Nyrath obviates the whole thing with his snippet of stellar
knowledge - though the technology may still be useful in certain places
(e.g. brown dwarfs, tidelocked or resonant orbits that keep hemispheres
dark for long periods of time). Thanks for the quote. I will have to
pick the book up.

Nyr> But, Mr. Izenberg, if I can possibly dig up some farther
Nyr> stars for New Israel, I'll present them to you.
Nyr> It's just that Epsilon Indi is so deep in everybody
Nyr> else's territory.

No need, thanks. These stars are quite fine, given Gillett's
information. (They were actually fine before, I was just trying to fit
my misconception into the FT universe).

Noam

Noam R. Izenberg		noam.izenberg@jhuapl.edu

Prev: Re: GZG Encyclopedia. Next: Re: Life around an M-class star