Prev: Re: GZG Encyclopedia. Next: Re: Kzinti Miniatures

Re: Life around an M-class star

From: Thomas Anderson <thomas.anderson@u...>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 13:27:10 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: Re: Life around an M-class star

On Mon, 1 Feb 1999, Izenberg, Noam wrote:

> and my guess is our psychesand bodies are not
> terribly well attuned to living in a well lit darkroom.

what? we're miniatures gamers - of course they are! sorry.

> A series of
> satellites (or single large ones) in orbit over population centers on
an
> M-sun colony world would collect solar energy on huge filimentary
> arrays. the energy would converted through any number of processes
(from
> as low-tech as incandescence to somehing more PSBish) to a 'whiter'
> light to fill in the rest of the human-visible spectrum.

yeah - fractional-wavelength resonance. well-known fact. in the uk,
streetlamp towers were acting as quarter-wave resonators for the data
signals on the energis comms network that runs in power cables -
rebroadcasting the data at high power slap bang in the middle of the
ambulance radio bands

there ain't nothing P about by SB ...

the only problem is that if you halve the wavelength of red light, you
get
uv light. ah well.

> They would be called something like Solar Converter Array Satellites
or
> Radiant Frequency Modulation Satellites :-).

Universal Transceiver-Transformer-Emitter for Radiation - Solar
Convertor
Array Matrix, or UTTER-SCAM for short. yes, i can see people selling
those

Tom

Prev: Re: GZG Encyclopedia. Next: Re: Kzinti Miniatures