Prev: RE: [FT][URL] KV FB Designs Next: Re: [FT] GZG Model Scale

Re: Life around an M-class star

From: "It'll be cool, it'll be fun...it's gonna *suck*" <KOCHTE@s...>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 15:59:09 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Life around an M-class star

Iceberg writes:

>While there's alot of discussion that could be had about the actual
>effects, I immediately want to posit a 'solution' inspired by the
>Russian space mirror experiment (Zarya?) going on soon. A series of
>satellites (or single large ones) in orbit over population centers on
an
>M-sun colony world would collect solar energy on huge filimentary
>arrays. the energy would converted through any number of processes
(from
>as low-tech as incandescence to somehing more PSBish) to a 'whiter'
>light to fill in the rest of the human-visible spectrum. The modulated
>light would then be re-emitted down to the surface, illuminating areas
>of a couple-10 km across. The additional light would not be overly
>bright, but would add enough human-nornal light to make things easier
>for the general population.
>
>They would be called something like Solar Converter Array Satellites or
>Radiant Frequency Modulation Satellites :-).

Also known as 'Target #1', 'Target #2', 'Target #3', etc, for any
invading
forces intent on crippling/taking over said colony.  :-)

Indy
-
I'm not giving in to security under pressure,
I'm not missing out on the promise of adventure,
I'm not giving up on implausible dreams -
Experience to extremes...experience to extremes....
					   Rush - "The Enemy Within"

Prev: RE: [FT][URL] KV FB Designs Next: Re: [FT] GZG Model Scale