Prev: Re: Planetery Defense Batteries Next: Re: (GZG Encyclopedia) Hey how can I contribute?

Re: Planetery Defense Batteries

From: "It'll be cool, it'll be fun...it's gonna *suck*" <KOCHTE@s...>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 12:04:18 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Planetery Defense Batteries

>>What are the best arcs of fire to use to represent a ground based,
>>direct fire, beam weapon?
>[snippage]
>
>180 is reasonable. Even if you do have 3D, however, there's no reason
>increase is. It's 180 in any given plane.
>
>The only argument I could see for a greater arc would be if you mounted
it
>on a mountain, or if the planert were very small.

I would be more inclined to a 120-degree arc, personally. It does,
though,
depend on how far you plan on abstracting things. Now if the planet had
an
atmosphere, I would strongly argue *against* anything greater than a 120
degree arc of fire due to atmospheric interference and distortions.

To the original poster: for ship bombardment on your target planet,
where
does your ship(s) have to be in order to hit your target? Directly
overhead,
or can they be off at an angle? I would then use that as a guideline for
planetary defense battery fire (if the ship cannot hit it, it can't hit
the
ship). *shrug* Makes sense to me.

My $0.02 worth; on to wading through the other 100 msgs... (boy you guys
were busy over the weekend!)

Mk
-
During the run-and-fight-and-run-again battle through this forest of
horror,
she is finally cornered. Her weapons have been left deep in the bodies
of the
slain or broken against the granite-hard scales of these snakes that are
not
snakes. Her stand to the death must be fought here. Though her only
weapons
are her hands and her deep and wide knowledge of the slayers, she does
not
fear them. They will die. Of this she is sure.

Prev: Re: Planetery Defense Batteries Next: Re: (GZG Encyclopedia) Hey how can I contribute?