Prev: [OT] Cruelty Re: Oops! Next: Switzerland?

Planetery Defense Batteries

From: "Michael Blair" <amfortas@h...>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 05:27:54 PST
Subject: Planetery Defense Batteries

What are the best arcs of fire to use to represent a ground based,
direct fire, beam weapon?
I like 180 degrees (3 arc), horizon to horizon, but a friend has
suggested 270 degrees (I don;t understand how or why) or even 360
degrees.
I think the problem lies with whatever model you use to represent a 3-D
planet on a 2-D map. If the table is the plane of the eliptic (which I
suspect we all subconsciously assume) the a polar base would be able to
fire 360 degrees unless the ships came too close, then the curve of the
planet would block the guns. Alternativly an equitorial base would only
have a 180 degree arc of fire.
What do you think?

Michael.

Prev: [OT] Cruelty Re: Oops! Next: Switzerland?