Prev: AAR - Encounter at Starbase 4193 Next: Re: [FT] GZG Model Scale

Re: Tractor beam.

From: John Leary <john_t_leary@p...>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 05:26:47 -0800
Subject: Re: Tractor beam.

Samuel Reynolds wrote:

> Forget conservation of momentum? If the target ship is pulled
> (redirected as though by thrusters?) toward the firing ship by
> 1 MU, the firing ship should also be pulled toward the target
> ship by a similar amount (per ratio of masses, rounded to nearest
> unit).
>
> - Sam

     I had forgotten to include the reason why it worked, oops.

The T-beam device forms a Virtual mass to the rear of the projector
by grabbing the matter in space and using it to provide an
artifical gravity field that is extended to the target ship.
The field behind the projector is so large that ships can pass
thru it and not be affected themselves.

Bye for now,
John L.