Prev: Re: [FT] NAC Fleet Roster (unofficial, of course) Next: Re: [FT] NAC Fleet Roster (unofficial, of course)

Re: DSII - Air Defence Levels.

From: "John M. Atkinson" <john.m.atkinson@e...>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 11:20:18 -0500
Subject: Re: DSII - Air Defence Levels.

Andrew & Alex wrote:

>     Ahh, but if you use aerospace interceptors, then it's all back to
> normal! See my site for more.

>     A little too abstract, I feel. Particularly if players have
aerospace
> assets that can reach out and touch air defence bases with a missile
of
> their own. Why not base it on a system like TADS, use Limited
Availability
> and then put the TADS off board? All points costs and system sizes are
> logically extrapolated from DSII GMS and ADS/ZAD. This is from my
site:

Here's where I wish to respectfully differ on what it is that the DSII
table represents.  To me, you are assuming the TF commander role.  This
varies from a company to a full batallion (normally--some games may be
larger) and hence the rank involved is CPT-LTC.  I submit that a
field-grade maneuver commander does not have control over these assets,
nor would he even be able to influence their usage much.  Nor do they
directly impact his fight.  In other words, if it's echelons above what
he would control, then he shouldn't do so on the DSII table.  Artillery
can be allocated to direct support of his formation or general support
of his parent formation, and air strikes are allocated to him by higher
and controlled by his FACs, and both directly shape his fight, so they
are appropriate.

Besides, the complexity of air warfare cannot be adequately simulated by
a simple intercept-counter-intercept formula as seen in the three or
four different air intercept house rules I've seen.

John M. Atkinson

Prev: Re: [FT] NAC Fleet Roster (unofficial, of course) Next: Re: [FT] NAC Fleet Roster (unofficial, of course)