Prev: Encyclopedia Assignments Next: in search of the ultimate land vehicle

Ground Rules / Re: More thoughts on Encyclopedia

From: Sean Bayan Schoonmaker <schoon@a...>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 09:15:01 -0800
Subject: Ground Rules / Re: More thoughts on Encyclopedia

>My concern becomes, again, that the canon GZG be separated somehow,
>especially for those new to GZG's background. Looking at the RH list,
I'm
>disturbed by references to NRE; in the same way, I would not do an NAC
>timeline that included the Texaco Free Commercial District (yes, I keep
>changing the name), but would have a TFCD timeline that included NAC
>incidences. Mechanisms as simple as highlighting / color-coding are
>possible.

I agree entirely that official background be somehow distinguished from
that which is generated by people who - entirely justifiably - have made
their own little niches.

However, there does exist the possibility (I'm really quite suprised
that
no one has mentioned it yet) that some small elements of our little
project
might become official if OKed by Jon.

That means, however, that we've all got to be reasonable with each other
on
this. I my eye's that means:

1) NO modifying existing history from the GZG books unless specifically
mentioning that it's a non-approved background.

2) NO making your nationality/zone/whatever the awesome, kick-butt,
all-rulers of the universe. Many of the the FB ship designs are "flawed"
or
not optimized. In my eyes, this is entirely correct. Many military
designs
are missteps down a design path that was later found to be flawed.
Contractors push systems that are less than perfect.
	Likewise, no government is perfect; they all make (sometimes
rather
major) mistakes, and they all loose battles, often as many - if not more
-
than they win. Make sure these ideas are reflected in designs and
histories.

3) COMPROMISE when conflicts arise between two authors. Often you can
discover new ideas when brainstorming integration difficulties that you
wouldn't have come up with on your own.

Schoon

Prev: Encyclopedia Assignments Next: in search of the ultimate land vehicle