Prev: Re: Fighter Missiles and such Next: Re: Modular Freighters (was Re: FB - Thrust Ratings for Freighters)

Re: NI stealth project

From: Laserlight <laserlight@c...>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 21:42:44 -0500
Subject: Re: NI stealth project

     I hope the additional comments clarify my understanding of
>what 'stealth' and ECM (WW) are and the fact that they are not really
>the same.  (Even if they accomplish similar things in different ways.)
>Stealth is a passive system and has no value once defeated.
>ECM (WW) is an active system designed to fool/mislead the enemy
>sensors. (and thereby degrade the performance of the enemy weapons.)
>
>If all the discussions are completed, can we call for a vote?

I understand Oerjan's "lots of shots in the right area" concept  and
agree
with it; however, I have to side with John's p.o.v. on the way stealth
should work.  The function of stealth is to prevent the enemy from
knowing
you are there.	Once he has detected you, you can get hit just like
anyone
else (exception: missile accuracy may be degraded).   Granted I haven't
read
each detail of every post, I get the impression that Oerjan is thinking
the
stealth affects weapons--I'd say it would affect the firecon instead.
(Philip has actually made the point previously, I think, that it
wouldn't
really affect fire cons, which are very high power, narrow beams--it
should
really just affect the search radars, which leans things more onto
John's
side of the debate).

Prev: Re: Fighter Missiles and such Next: Re: Modular Freighters (was Re: FB - Thrust Ratings for Freighters)