Prev: RE: Encyclopedia GZG Next: In defense of GW!

RE: Encyclopedia GZG

From: Adrian Johnson <ajohnson@i...>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 10:56:48 -0500
Subject: RE: Encyclopedia GZG

>>Somebody (bodies?  unfortunately, other than me with my zero
experience
>>producing web content...) could volunteer to webify the
>>starting page, and each of the contributors could provide him/her with
their
>url(s) and a
>>brief (one paragraph) description of what their links contain - so the
>>encyclopedia page would have an "annotated table of contents" - and
the
>>person doing the web work won't have to spend time reading the
>>individual
>
>Some sort of style guide would be required so that
>it looked like a coherent whole, otherwise it wouldn't
>be much better than what we have now tied together by
>a link page.
>
>Having it as a distributed site is OK but you would
>be forever chasing link rot.
>
>If Jerry has the space to host it, it would be
>better on a single server. Sure we can develop in
>a distributed form and put up draft pages for review.
>Hoever having it in one place finally will be a lot
>easier to maintain consistency and content.
>
>--
>tim jones - software warrior with NO FEAR

I agree completely about the style guide, for new produced stuff.  I
kind
of like Jeremy Sadler's ideas about "formalizing" the process - if we
agree
that producing a web-based "encyclopedia" of our ideas is worthwhile,
this
is a good way of doing it (and probably the way which will most likely
see
it completed - or, at least started...)

My suggestions tagged onto Brian Burger's were for a "starter
version"...
yes, if it were to be maintained for any length of time it would require
lots of time to prevent link rot.  But it would be fun to get it up
quickly, to have it there to look at.  At the very least, we could
compile
a page with just links to everybody's personal history/fleet
description/TOE pages.

If we get something going, it will generate momentum.  If we get
something
up that is obviously valuable, and can obviously be improved upon, it
will
generate lots of momentum.

Gotta start somewhere - so why not get something up fast and simple to
start off.

Adrian

Prev: RE: Encyclopedia GZG Next: In defense of GW!