Prev: Re: [OT] SFB - The Deal is finally done Next: Re: GZG Encyclopedia

Re: Battlefleet Gothic Report

From: Aaron Teske <ateske@H...>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 19:57:47 -0500
Subject: Re: Battlefleet Gothic Report

At 11:37 AM 1/25/99 +0000, Tom Anderson wrote:
>i've been pondering on gw -> gzg migration paths recently; i have a
friend
>who's deeply into most things gw, but is otherwise quite intelligent.

Well, hey, I really like the background (especially the earlier works),
but
am not so hot for the games at the moment.  Then again, I seem to go
through phases, though this *definitely* has to do with opponent
availability -- my interest in Heavy Gear has waned considerably since I
moved to northern NJ, where I played every so often against Alex Rhodes.

>know that if he really got to know some non-gw games (gzg being the
>easiest to come by, and providing a total solution with ft/ds/sg), he
>would realise how bad gw stuff (mostly) is and be much better off.

<grin>
The trouble is, sometimes peopel aren't so rational about this.  And
besides, there are generally some mechanics within the GW games that
other
games won't have -- they may be illogical, unrealistic mechanics
(especailly within Battlefleet Gothic, as a recent example see Oerjan's
response to my post) but they definitely make for a unique system.  And
they're not all unbalancing, so long as they are applied across the
board.
So.... <shrug>

>it's hard to persuade people to give one system up and start another
>simply on the back of argument, testimony or one or two games - people
are
>to used to what they play.

Exactly.  That's probably one reason I haven't worked too much on
Dirtside,
though I have a handful of ideas, and I've had an almost pathological
resistance to playing 25/28mm SF skirmish games even though I've got a
decent number of (unpainted) minis for 'em. ^_^

Actually, the other reason I haven't done so much with Dirtside has to
do
with the minis I have painted; the Squat SHVs aren't likely to make
really
good conversions, barring (maybe) the Colossus and Leviathan (though why
you'd need that large a troop transport...).  And the Squats never had
standard MBTs, and I don't have many of my Marine tanks painted up....

>if there was a series of steps, where each one
>was quite non-threatening, it would be a lot easier. i was thinking
>something like pure epic -> epic with ds2 morale rules -> epic with ds2
>morale and fire rules -> ds2 with epic units -> pure ds2. the same
could
>be applied to 40k/sg (maybe) and BFG/ft.

Interesting approach, I guess it is different from the "full immersion"
technique.  I'd actually aim for first playing an E40K game, then
repeating
the game using DS2... it'd be interesting to see if the points balance
out,
for one thing. ^_^  (Though Space Fleet conversions to Full Thrust
certainly do.  How, exactly, I'm going to convert BFG to FT is still up
in
the air.  Another reason I'm likely to play both: they are fairly
different
games!)

>oh, and munitions are also known as ordnance. not ordinance - that's to
do
>with priests.

Oops. ^_^;;  Though considering that you have things like city
ordinances,
I don't think the word is confined to the priesthood.

>of course, i haven't seen BF Gothic, so i'm assuming you are
>talking about munitions not priests; knowing pudding workshop (and what
is
>the origin of that term?),

Nyrath?

>it could be either.

Too true.... ^_^

					Aaron Teske
					ateske@HICom.net
LAUNCH DAY!
A totally unprovoked attack on peaceful neighbors. Must be the race
file. Does strange things.
		--Rick Kujecko, on the War Monger PRT in Stars!

Prev: Re: [OT] SFB - The Deal is finally done Next: Re: GZG Encyclopedia