Prev: Re: [FT] PBEM Firing Orders Next: Re: A Stealth Primer (and [FT-AAR] a NAC/NI AAR - "Wargames")

NI stealth project

From: John Leary <john_t_leary@p...>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 16:22:53 -0800
Subject: NI stealth project

Oerjan Ohlson wrote:

...Various large Snips...JTL
>  My view - biased by Starfire, but that's rather unavoidable in my
case -
> is that a weapon's effect is gradually attenuated over range. This
> attenuatioin is partially offset by accurate enough targetting. "1
point
> of damage" isn't necessarily a *single* hit - it may just as well be
> several minor hits, combining to make up 1 point... and if your
> targetting is poor enough that you can't get enough hits on target to
> inflict that single point, the weapon is no longer able to inflict
> damage. A larger weapon with better focussing systems (which is one of
> the reasons why a Class-3 inflicts less damage per Mass than a Class-2
at
> close range - the focussing systems take up a bigger percentage of the
> weapon's mass) and more juice in each sub-shot to begin with suffers a
> lower attenuation rate, and is thus able to inflict damage at longer
> ranges.

     Having failed to make my point, I try again.

     The stealth ship is 22 inches from my ship.   I fire a type 3 beam,
because
the ship is within the range where I can see it on my sensors.	 The
type two
beam cannot hit the stealth ship because it cannot see the stealth ship
using
the same sensors.   Why, because the type 2 has had the weapons range
reduced
by the stealth not the sensor range.
The stealth directly affects the performance of my weapons on my ship
even
when I have a sensor lock on the target ship.
Do you see a problem here, I do.

Bye for now,
John L

Prev: Re: [FT] PBEM Firing Orders Next: Re: A Stealth Primer (and [FT-AAR] a NAC/NI AAR - "Wargames")