Prev: Re: GZGs New Advert Next: UIFWG? Re: [IFWG] Timeline update

Re: NI/NAC AAR & Stealth

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 19:51:48 +0100
Subject: Re: NI/NAC AAR & Stealth

Tim Jones wrote:

> >As for lopsided firing arcs, this is certainly a plausible
> >design if you take the FB roll-ship maneuver into account. If you
know
> >force is trying to blind side you, you can flip and blastem.
>
> Doesn't work if you get doubled though.

If you misjudge where the enemy is going to end up, you're out of luck
anyway. The off-set arc designs are more vulnerable to that than
weapons-all-around a la the NSL, but OTOH the off-set arcs ships hit a
lot harder when they can fire :-/ If you use Noam's tactics of
long-range
circling, there's no real way for the enemy to blind-side you.

> Interesting
> enough in the age of sail ships could only fire a
> broadside from one side at a time as they only had
> enough crew to man the guns on one side.

Hm. I seem to recall crew organisations where the gunners were divided
into "starboard" and "port" gangs, but I'm not at all sure about it :-/

Later,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: GZGs New Advert Next: UIFWG? Re: [IFWG] Timeline update