Prev: Re: Gaming backgrounds/scenarios Next: Re: Battlefleet Gothic Report

Re: Gaming backgrounds/scenarios

From: Brian Burger <burger00@c...>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 22:44:45 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Gaming backgrounds/scenarios

On Mon, 25 Jan 1999 DracSpy@aol.com wrote:

> Never mind what I said about it being like the UBW/Gawain Acords, I
miss under
> stood what you ment by the bandit groups.  Its like my High School!
Maybe
> thats why I like I like the NAC?

Your high school had Hispanic gangs?

I'm trying not to engage in racial stereotypes - the NAC Hispanic
population would, after over a century of NAC rule, probably be as loyal
or not as the population of the former United States. Fringe elements
calling for independence for some decades-gone nation that most people
hear about only in history books and their great-grandparents' stories,
and the rest of the people trying to get on with life, more or less. On
Santa Maria, the fringe seems to be encouraged by the LLAR, or factions
thereof.

In my take on the NAC of 2183, all of the Terran territories of the NAC
are internally self-governing, as are many of the mature colonies (like
Santa Maria). So we'd have, say, the Dominion of the South Argentine,
Dominion of whatever - Canada is one (maybe Quebec), the ex-USA is three
or four, Mexico is one or two Dominions, etc etc. The NAC government
proper runs most foreign affairs, off-world military matters, and sets
general guidelines for all Dominions. Dominions pay taxes to the NAC and
contribute troops, and in exchange get the protection of far larger
military and diplomatic clout. The NAC also sets up and protects new
colonies, etc etc. It's a federal system, with Dominions substituting
for
states or provinces. (None of which prevents people from agitating for
many reasons, of course...)

Actually, it is kind of like Stephen's UBW. You set up a situation that
will lead to military conflict of the desired nature (starfleets for
Stephen's FT games, firefights for my DS2/SG2 group) and then apply the
results of the games to your evolving history of the situation. I'm
inspired in equal measure by Los' GZG fiction (for which a number of the
FT encounters were played out) and the recent 'Let's get together and
game
Armageddon to change GZGverse history' thread. I've got a broad idea of
the fate of Santa Maria colony, but if our games start going very
differently I'll change the future...The nice thing about gaming a
geurilla war is that no one fight is really going to decide things...

That in a (rather long) nutshell is what I meant by a narrative
campaign.

Pardon the length, (I've churned out a massive amount of stuff today - I
only started the Santa maria webpage late last night...)

Brian (burger00@camosun.bc.ca)
-- http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Nebula/9774/games.html
--DS2/SG2/misc--

Prev: Re: Gaming backgrounds/scenarios Next: Re: Battlefleet Gothic Report