Prev: Re: Star Craft/Stargrunt Next: RE: AoG ships in UK (was: RE: Anyone use FB ships?)

Re: [SG2] Periscope (was: Urban combat)

From: devans@u...
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 13:02:16 -0600
Subject: Re: [SG2] Periscope (was: Urban combat)

I seem to recall that, when I was a sprout, the US Army used periscopes,
poked though cut holes in coversheets, on to sandtables with miniature
armies. Nowdays the same is done with computer screens, but it's never
been
quite the same.

Was especially good at teaching fog of war; 'see that ridge with that
LARGE
plain beyond, clearly visable on the map? The one you can now see, now
that
we pulled back the sheet, has all the tanks in the world ready to drive
right down on you?'

Awkward for play of a game, but I always thought it a good way to get
two
folks to set up a scenerio...

The_Beast

PS I like the idea of laser pointers, quick and very visual, but after
just
yelling at someone not to point one my way, I'll avoid the usage.
Other's
MMV. Penlight in a relatively dim lit game area can work well, and you
can
still have enough light to read and scope the terrain.

Prev: Re: Star Craft/Stargrunt Next: RE: AoG ships in UK (was: RE: Anyone use FB ships?)